"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers

At the beginning of the school year, I always encourage folks to prep a ton of these in anticipation of newcomer students that will arrive throughout the school year. Please note that this is one example of a template. You can open the templates, go to FILE and MAKE A COPY so that you can customize these to better fit your needs! This sample template I have ready is for English/Spanish newcomers.

I Need Cards - please note that this template has the same tool but presented a few different ways. These are a tool that I reference in my proficiency snapshot tool for classoom & content teachers (a scaffold I'd recommend for level 1 students). As students are beginning their language journeys in English, they may just feel comfortable raising their hand and pointing. As they grow in confidence and have had ample time to practice, they may say these sentences out loud. Here's a quick TikTok that walks through these.

**I recently (9/10/23) used AI and digital translation resources after a request came through for these cards in Polish, Ukrainian, RussianPortuguese and Mongolian. As of 10/8/23, I also have French and Korean. I do not have these language skills or access to a translator- so this was my attempt. There are notes that indicate this on each of these resources, but I wanted to be sure to mention it here as well. If you have edits, I'd be happy to adjust these right away - email me at carlymspina@gmail.com.** 
THANK YOU TO CAROL RABAJA for providing the translation in French

Please note that our newcomer students MAY NEED REST and breaks! This is important. If you have a colleague who may be reluctant about providing students with rest breaks, please remind them of the importance of providing a safe learning environment that prioritizes basic needs first. 

    On page 1, you'd print the whole thing and tape it or post it on the inside of a notebook or folder. This offers older students a more "discrete" support so that they may open up their folder and point to the row they need for whichever teacher they are with. 

    On page 2, you'd print and cut each strip. In the left column, you'd punch a hole. You'd place each strip on a ring so students can flip through to find their needs & communicate their needs. 

    On page 3, you'd print and cut each need (or perhaps 2 at a time). You'd put these on student desks and cover these with contact paper. This is best for our youngest learners so that they don't have to worry about finding their tool. All they'd need to do is raise their hand and point. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals