5 Great Messages for Families The First Weeks of School

Here are 5 very simple messages that are great to share with families (in an email, text message, phone call, Seesaw post, etc!) during the first few weeks of school.


I'm so excited that ______ is in our class this year.

            Sharing your excitement will help families see how much you love and appreciate their children.

I'm here to help your child grow this year, and it's important to me that they feel safe and happy at school.

            Sharing this message is important because it shows that you prioritize their happiness, their joy, and their feelings of safety. It also opens the door to having a dialogue if a child is feeling left out, unwelcome, or unsafe.    

My first priority is the kids, but please know I'm happy to support you and get you connected the best I can as well. I may not always have all the answers, but I'll get you in touch with someone that can help. Let me know how I can help! 

            This is an especially important message to families who are new to the school system or the community. We can help families get connected with our local libraries and park districts! This also demonstrates that we don't always have to have all the answers - this can create a sense of trust with families when an adult at the school can admit they don't know everything.

I love/noticed/observed ______(this positive thing)______ about your child. 

        As a parent, if I feel that my child's teacher(s) sees them, I feel comfortable and happy sending my child to their class each day. I feel like my child is seen, heard, noticed, and special.

They're doing great! You're doing great! 

        Everyone (students and families/caregivers included) worries that they're not doing well at some point. Sometimes just a simple text message that says this message can go a long way to encouraging a student or a caregiver. This one positive interaction can really start to build a strong relationship.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals