Great Read Alouds to Launch the School Year

Like most teachers, I have a deep love for children's books, especially picture books. Every fall, I pull out a few of my go-to favorites, while I'm also always on the lookout for more! What are your favorite childrens' books to launch the school year? 

Huda Essa's book Teach Us Your Name is absolutely beautiful. I find this book so empowering because it encourages children (and all of us adults, too!) to gently teach others how to say our names correctly. Our names matter and they tie us to our families, our cultures, our languages, and our heritage! 


Your Name is a Song by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow is a beautifully empowering story that describes a mother telling her story all about the importance of her name! This is a great reminder that our names are important and unique- and that all of our names deserve respect! 



Another great book to launch the school year is I Promise by Lebron James. I love that this book teaches readers to take care of themselves, each other, our school, and our community. 


The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson is simply stunning - and it is a book that fills up my heart all the way to the top each time I read it. I love the way this book reminds us that our stories are unique and they make us who we are. It's a very uplifting, inspiring, and empowering text- and the illustrations are just beautiful. 


All Are Welcome Here by Alexandra Penfold is a very well-written book about inclusivity. I love the message that is repeated throughout the text, the illustrations, and the feelings that this book inspires. A great book to launch the year!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals