Appreciation Post: Duncan Tonatiuh, Author & Illustrator

 As we approach the beginning of Hispanic & Latinx Heritage Month, and as we also continue to acknowledge and appreciate Latinx heritage throughout the school year, I felt compelled to write a post of appreciation for the work of award-winning author & illustrator Duncan Tonatiuh. 

Years ago, my son hurried home from first grade to share that my favorite author has been placed on the Monarch list! The book Dear Primo was nominated and my son was eager to get all of his classmates to put in their vote for his work. 

I firmly believe that picture books are for all ages. By taking a look at some of the titles that Duncan Tonatiuh has released, the books can be used from primary school all the way upwards of high school and beyond. 



Over the years, his work has had a tremendous impact on classrooms that I've taught. He has addressed a number of topics such as immigration and civil rights. He's also written across genres like historical narratives, myths and legends, and biographies. He writes in a way that makes the stories, topics, and historical events accessible to students today, and his illustrations always so beautifully compliment the message.



One thing I deeply appreciate about his books is that he takes the time to invite the reader into powerful opportunities for deeper learning. At the end of each of his books, there is an author's note that provides historical context, as well as a glossary, where he often incorporates English and Spanish words. Additionally, many of his books have shared information like timelines, resources, bibliographies, and even indices.



His illustrations  reflect the styles of Pre-Columbian art, and his art has been featured in many other books authored by other writers, including Esquivel! Space-Age Sound Artist by Susan Wood.

I had the privilege to see him in action as he visited students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade at Hoffman School in Glenview, IL. My colleagues and I even had the chance to have dinner with him (my son was completely star struck!)- and he is honestly just an awesome human being. Be sure to check out his website here! There is so much incredible content on his site, but if you click on Mas/More, you can find educator resources as well as videos that he is featured in. 

This is one of my favorite videos on his website posted by KidLit TV: 


I highly recommend his books for every school and every classroom! Thank you Duncan Tonatiuh for sharing your gifts and talents with the world, and for teaching us so much along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals

"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers