Advocates Say No.

I've used the word Advocate for a long time, and I know many of us do, too. I also use the words Change Agent, Instructional Leader, Community Connector, Family Liaison, and more to describe today's multilingual educator (EL, Bilingual, Dual Language). 

As I speak with multilingual educators, many feel that they are on an island. Perhaps they are the only EL teacher in the building - or they are one of just a few. There is this feeling of "If I don't speak up/ask this question/fight for this student/advocate for this family, then no one else will." I don't have to tell you how utterly exhausting and how potentially dangerous this feeling is for us. 

I found myself saying "YES" to everything. Every committee. Every leadership team. Every tutoring program. Every family program. Everything. Because I felt I needed to be "the EL voice." No surprise- I burned myself out. I was drowning. I hit rock bottom several times - financially, spiritually, mentally, physically, professionally, personally. 

I do not want this for you.

Today's advocate must say no. Change Agents must say no. Instructional Leaders must say no. Community Connectors must say no. Family Liaisons must say no. Saying No allows us to say YES to other things that also need our attention. You are STILL a Change Agent when you say no. In fact, you are a STRONGER Change Agent when you say no. 

I'm in my head today but I hope this makes some sort of sense and I hope this message finds whoever may need to hear it. I hope you say No. I hope you take breaks. I hope you rest. I hope you know that you are powerful, strong, brave - I hope you know that your students and families are lucky to have you. 


**EDIT: After sharing this piece, the incredible Laura Gardner (Founder & CEO of Immigrant Connections) shared a (honestly much better!!!) piece of hers that actually lists strategies and tools for us. Please, please, please be sure to check this out - it really is a piece that we all should have bookmarked!***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals