Testing Season + Seasonal Affective Disorder (Part Two)

From January-March, I am a different person. I am more moody, I feel sluggish, and I tend to "accomplish less" and "complain more." It's a hard truth, but it's something I know about myself after suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder for more than a decade. Living in the Chicagoland area doesn't afford us much sunshine, and the gray skies day after day tend to drain me emotionally, physically, and spiritually. When my SAD aligns with the ACCESS test, it can be a really difficult time for me, but it's not something I've opened up to many people about over the years. So, here we are - I wanted to open up a bit about it because I just have this hunch that many other folks may be struggling too. 

In my first post, I talked about things to do with my students to help me.  For part one, please click here. This post will walk through things I've done for myself (away from students) that have helped me. Please tune in to YOU and find what drains you and what strengthens you. Make your own list, and maybe consider sharing it out - because it may help someone you know. 

*I wear bright colors in winter months. I don't care if neon pink is "seasonal" - it makes me happy. So I wear neon pink. I put on accessories that make me feel happy and confident. 

*I take extra vitamins (like Vitamin D) and I try to drink more water. I'm not great at it, but it's a work in progress.

*I find music that will energize me and also music that soothes me. I have to tune into my body and mind to figure out what I need. Energizing music helps me during the day. But first thing in the morning, I need something slower and more "gentle." I love classic rock (really love CCR), Britney Spears, Cardi B, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, and TobyMac. When I was in a leadership role in my district I organized a staff energizing playlist to keep the multilingual department hyped up during the ACCESS testing window. 

*When the sun is actually out, I GET OUTSIDE, even if it's just for a few minutes. This is really important for me. I should try to get outside more even if it's not sunny, but it's another work in progress for me. This is great to do WITH students as well, if possible. 

*I put fun things on my work calendar AND on my social calendar, because I need things to look forward to, like a fun virtual Zoom visit for the students, or a Date Night for my & my hubby, or an upcoming sale at my favorite store. I decorate my Happy Planner in fun colors and cute stickers because it helps me to feel like there are exciting things on the horizon.

*I've tried getting a "happy light." I wake up earlier to get more sunlight in my day. This also means I go to bed earlier, and that's okay too.

*I incorporate a few new SMALL things into my instructional day across the winter months. Not only is it good for kids, but the novelty is good for me too. This may be swapping out some tools (for example if I use Equity Chips for discussion, I trade out our pompoms for acorns or pipe cleaners) or heading to the school library and pulling a few new read alouds. 

*I tried to plan various Kindness Activities for students around this time of year, too. It spreads positivity and boosts morale in the building. I know I can't be the only one who is trying to cope with this. One year, we tiptoed out to the staff parking lot and put positivity notes on teachers' cars. Another time we walked around the building with carnations from the local grocery store and we passed them out to teachers who walked by. These activities also provided some relief between testing sessions. They were fun for me to do as a human being, and as a teacher. It also helped me feel more creative.

*I have to continuously remind myself to ask for help and be honest about what I need and how I'm feeling. Being open with my doctors, my friends and family, and my colleagues can help me to communicate my needs with others. Remembering that no one can read my mind is important! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Language Proficiency Tool for Teachers

"I Need" Cards: Printables for Newcomers

Reflections, Celebrations, & Goals